Children born outside Sri Lanka to Sri Lankan parents (at least one parent should be a Sri Lankan citizen) needs to be registered at the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DI&E) within one year of birth for the confirmation of the child’s Sri Lankan citizenship. Once the child’s birth has been registered with the DI&E, a certificate for the Registration of Birth (Citizenship Certificate) is issued to the applicant. If you fail to register the birth of a child with the DI&E within one year; a fine will be imposed.
Applying for Birth Registration and Citizenship Certificate:
An application for registration of a birth and Citizenship Certificate must be made to a Sri Lanka Overseas Mission in accordance with the Registrar General’s Department requirements:
- Within 3 months of the birth.
- If the application is made after 3 months and within 1 year, the reason for the delay should be provided in writing when making the application.
- If the application is made after 1 year, you must obtain the consent of the Registrar General in writing before submitting an application.
- At least one parent of the child should be a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of the child’s birth.
- Either the father or the mother of the child may make the application for registration of birth.
- A child's birth may be registered in Sinhala/Tamil/English. Please indicated your preferred language on the application form.
To register the birth of a child born to Sri Lankan nationals overseas, please provide the following forms. All fields must be completed. Note: Applicant’s signature on each of the forms must be notarized (if applicant will not be submitted in person).
- Application for Registration of a Birth outside Sri Lanka Please use Citizenship Form1.
- Declaration of Birth under Section 16 (if within 3 months of birth). Please use Registration Form B-4or
- Declaration of Birth Under Section 24(if after 3 months of birth). Please use Registration Form B-6.
- Declaration of Citizenship of Parents (father/mother)Please see specimen attached.
The originals of the following documents must be provided. Note: English translations will not be accepted as originals.
- The Birth Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in the country of the birth of the child.
- Birth Certificates of father and mother
- If the applicant (father or mother) is a Sri Lankan citizen by registration, the relevant Citizenship Certificate.
- Marriage Certificate of the parents.
- Passports of father and mother.
- Please provide proof of valid U.S. visa or Permanent Resident Card (Green Card).Note: If your U.S. visa is on an old passport, please provide the original old passport. Please provide a notarized copy of your Permanent Resident Card.
Consular fees: Please consult the Fees and Payment Methods page for details. Processing Time:
- Register of birth within one year 2-3 weeks
- Registration of birth after one year 4-6 months
- Citizenship certificate more than 6 months
- Your original documents and old passport(s) will be returned along with the Birth Certificate and Citizenship Certificate by secure courier.
- Please note that pre-paid self-addressed envelopes and/or shipping labels are not accepted.
- Please consult the Fees and Payment Methods page for more details.
- Please note that you will be charged the “returning documents” fee twice as the Birth Certificate and the Citizenship Certificate will be shipped separately.
- Parents are required to register the child’s birth with the Sri Lanka Overseas Missions within 3 months of the birth; to ensure that all the relevant paperwork is processed in a timely manner enabling the DI&E to issue a Citizenship Certificate within 1 year of the birth.
- The Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
- The submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. In such circumstances, consular fees will not be refunded.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.