An Emergency travel document valid for six months may be issued to enable a Sri Lankan national to return to Sri Lanka in case of an emergency in the following circumstances.
- The original passport is lost
- The original passport is expired
a. A letter requesting an Emergency passport
b. Duly filled Application (Click here for Application form K)
c. Form D (If passport is lost) (Click here for form D)
d. Three Photographs (Color, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2” x 2” )
e. Expired passport or if lost copy of lost passport
f. Original Birth Certificate
g. Police report (If passport is lost)
h. Citizenship Certificate (If the applicant is a citizen by registration).
i. Certified photocopy of valid permanent resident card (If the applicant is a permanent resident in the USA).
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
a. If applicant produces the previous travel document $ 54.00 b. If previous travel document is lost $ 169.00
*If the return of the passport is desired by mail, applicants may choose one of the following options and make payment together with the application fees as follows,
Federal Express - $ 20.00 International mailing fee - $ 35.00 (for applicants from Aruba and Mexico)
Fees may be paid by cash (only if application is hand delivered). The money orders or certified checks should be made in favor of " Embassy of Sri Lanka" Please note that personal checks will not be accepted.
PROCESSING TIME - Less than a week INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING APPLICATIONS
1. Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
2. Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
3. The photographs, signature and declaration of the applicant can be attested by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Solicitor, Chief incumbent of Sri Lankan temple, Professor of University or a person of similar status living in the USA.
4. The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture) , without spectacles and with open ears.
5. The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies.
* This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application to the consular division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm) The physical and mailing address is as follows,
3025 Whitehaven Street NW Washington DC, 20008