Trace your application status: http://slembassyusa.org/tracking/
It is advisable to obtain a new passport at least 6 months prior to expiry of your current passport.
Validity of a passport cannot be extended beyond 10 years from the date of issue. (Renewal of passport is no longer practiced)
Under normal circumstances it takes around 8 to 12 weeks to process a Passport application. Please note that the processing time may be varying by case by case. Applicants are advised to apply for new passports well in advance with all supporting documents to avoid inconveniences.
If your passport is lost ,please submit Police report along with the application.
Inclusion of children in the parents's passport will no longer be allowed and the children will be issued separate passports. Children under 16 years of age also should obtain separate passports with the consent of both the parents.
a. Duly filled Application -(click here for Application)
How to fill the application – (Specimen)
b.Three Photographs (Colour, 3.5 cm x 4.5cm or 2” x 2” , photographs should be clear/fresh, without spectacles and shadow, taken within a 3 months. Both ears should be clearly visible). Please note that issuance of a new passport will be delayed if specifications are not met.
c. Most recent passport
d. Original Birth Certificate (Translations are not accepted) or certificate to prove Sri Lankan citizenship (Annex 1)
e. Original Dual Citizenship Certificate and a copy of Foreign Passport (If the applicant is a dual citizenship holder)
f. If you wish a profession to be included on the passport;
- If the profession needs high level of qualifications,(Doctor, Engineer, Accountant, Quantity Surveyor, etc..) the applicant must provide Academic/professional certificates and letter of appointment/offer letter.
- For other executive professions, a service letter should be provided.
- For unskilled jobs (e.g., labor, house made) no document is required.
If you wish not to include a profession on the passport, you may leave the profession field unfliied.
g. Original Marriage certificate (if you have changed your maiden name or wish to change name after marriage.
h. A document to prove continuation of Sri Lankan citizenship;
Certified photocopy of A valid visa , valid permanent resident card, Asylum/Refugee rejection letter or An Affidavit (Annex II)
i. Copy of Sri Lankan National ID, Dual citizens are advised to obtain a new National ID. (for information please visit www.drp.gov.lk)
j. Police Report or form D (if the passport is lost) (Annex IV)
k. Parent's Consent Letter(if the applicant is under 16 years age)
l.Parent's Passport copies (bio Page and Children page) (if the applicant is under 16 years age)
m. If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka, a copy of the Sri Lankan citizenship Certificate should be submitted along with the application. If such applicant is over 21 years old, he or she should submit an affidavit (Annex V) that they will retain Sri Lanka citizenship in addition to the citizenship certificate
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
a. for M or N series passport holders - $ 158.00 b. for L,K and J series passport holders - $ 373.00
b. Minor passport (Issue only for 3 years) - $ 129
For Lost passports
If the passport copy is available – $ 373.00
If the passport copy is not available- $ 473.00
Returning of documents and new/old passports
Your documents & old passport will be returned with the new passport.
If you desire to receive documents/passports by courier additional charges apply
Federal Express ( FedEx) - $ 20.00 International mailing fee - $ 35.00 (for applicants from Aruba/ Mexico )
Please note that prepaid self addressed envelopes / shipping labels are not accepted.
Methods of Payments
By cash - If application is hand delivered only. No payments by bank cards
Money orders or certified checks should be made in favor of " Embassy of Sri Lanka"
Please note that personal checks are not accepted.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING APPLICATIONS
1.Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
2. Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
3. If the applicant doesn't submit the application in person to the Embassy ,the signature of the applicant in the client undertaking section should be verified by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Solicitor, Chief incumbent of Sri Lankan temple, Professor of University or a person of similar status living in the USA.
4. If your passport is lost ,please submit Police report along with the application.
5. The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture) , without spectacles and with open ears.
6. The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies.
Notes: * This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application to the consular division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9 am to 5 pm). The physical and mailing address is as follows,
3025 Whitehaven Street NW Washington DC, 20008