All pensioners residing overseas must furnish their Life Certificates every year,(between 1 December of the previous year and before 31 March of the current year), through the Sri Lanka overseas missions.
Important: Once the Life Certificate(s) are certified by an Authorized Officer of at the Embassy; the certified documents will be forwarded to the Department of Pensions via diplomatic pouch.
You must provide:
Life/Residence Certificate – 2024:
The Life/Residence application form must be:
- Be dated and signed.
- Include answers for all fields.
- Display your full name as it appears in your pension documents or passport.
Please bring two of the following documents for identity verification.
- Passport – valid for on the date of application
- Sri Lanka National ID card
- Sri Lanka Pensions card
- Sri Lanka Driver’s License– valid for on the date of application
- Note: If documents are being sent by post, please include notarized copies of the two of the above listed documents for identity verification.
How to submit your Life Certificate to the Department of Pensions:
- In person, at the Department of Pensions in Sri Lanka
- Via Skype contact the Department of Pensions
- Through the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington, DC
Submitting your Life Certificate through the Embassy:
- By post (please use traceable mail):
Embassy of Sri Lanka - Consular Section
3025 Whitehaven Street NW Washington DC, 20008
- In person, at the counter:
Drop off your application package at the Consular Section of the Embassy. You can secure an appointment with the relevant Consular Officer by email (), prior to arriving at the Embassy counter. are Monday to Friday between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Please check the Contact page for information about holiday closures.
Consular fees: Please consult the Fees and Methods of Payment page.
Processing Time: up to 30 business days
- Your original documents and/or copies will be returned by secure courier or regular mail.
- Please provide a written request for the return of documents. Pre-paid self-addressed envelopes and/or shipping labels are accepted.
- Please consult the Fees and Methods of Payment page for more details.
- Please ensure you add the costs of “returning documents” to the consular service fee(s) if applicable.
- The Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
- The submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. In such circumstances, consular fees will not be refunded.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.