Validity of a passport cannot be extended beyond 10 years from the date of its first issue. If the passport does not have sufficient pages for visa endorsements or a passport is 10 years old or the passport is lost, a new passport must be obtained.
Under normal circumstances it takes around 8 to 12 weeks to process a Passport application. Please note that the processing time may be varying by case by case. Applicants are advised to apply for new passports well in advance with all supporting documents to avoid inconveniences.
If your passport is lost ,please submit Police report along with the application.
Inclusion of children in the parents's passport will no longer be allowed and the children will be issued separate passports. Children under 16 years of age also should obtain separate passports with the consent of both the parents.
a. Duly filled Application -(click here for Application)
b.Three Photographs (Colour, 3.5 cm x 4.5cm or 2” x 2” , photographs should be clear/fresh, without spectacles and shadow, taken within a 3 months. Both ears should be clearly visible). Please note that issuance of new passport will be delayed if specifications are not met.
c. Most recent passport
d. Original Birth Certificate (Translations not accepted)
e. Dual Citizenship Certificate and a copy of Foreign Passport (If the applicant is a dual citizenship holder)
f. Academic/professional certificates and letter of appointment (If the profession is to be included)
g. Marriage certificate (if the applicant married and wishes to have spouse’s surname entered in the passport)
h. Certified photocopy of valid permanent resident card (If the applicant is a permanent resident in the USA).
i. Copy of Sri Lankan National ID
j. Police Report (if the passport is lost)
k. Parent's Consent letter (if the applicant is under 16 years age)
l.Parent's Passport copies (if the applicant is under 16 years age)
m. If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka, a copy of the Sri Lankan citizenship Certificate should be submitted along with the application. If such applicant is over 21 years old, he or she should submit a declaration renouncing the citizenship of the country of birth in addition to the citizenship certificate
THE PRESCRIBED FEE:
a. for M or N series passport holders - $ 150.00 b. for L,K and J series passport holders - $ 350.00
For Lost passports
If the passport number is available – $ 350.00
If the passport number is not available- $ 450.00
*If the return of the passport is desired by mail, applicants may choose one of the following options and make payment together with the application fees as follows,
Federal Express - $ 20.00 International mailing fee - $ 35.00 (for applicants from Aruba / Mexico )
Please note that prepaid self addressed envelopes / shipping labels are not accepted.
Fees may be paid by cash (only if application is hand delivered). The money orders or certified check should be made in favor of " Embassy of Sri Lanka"
Please note that personal check will not be accepted.
PROCESSING TIME - 08 TO 12 WEEKS
Applications received at the Embassy from Monday through Wednesday are processed and forwarded to the controller , Immigration & Emigration in Colombo every friday by Diplomatic bag. Applications received after Wednesday will be dispatched the following week.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING APPLICATIONS
1.Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
2. Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
3. If the applicant doesn't submit the application in person to the Embassy ,the signature of the applicant in the client undertaking section should be verified by a Notary, Medical Practitioner, Solicitor, Chief incumbent of Sri Lankan temple, Professor of University or a person of similar status living in the USA.
4. If your passport is lost ,please submit Police report along with the application.
5. The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture) , without spectacles and with open ears.
6. The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies.
Notes: * This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application to the consular division of the Embassy by post or by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9 am to 5 pm). The physical and mailing address is as follows,
3025 Whitehaven Street NW Washington DC, 20008