- One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan Citizen and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the Embassy).
- The marriage may be registered in the Embassy after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage and within three (03) months from such date.
- The Embassy charges a fee of US $ 40.00 for the registration of a marriage and the registration of a marriage under Special License.
- Valid passports of both parties should be produced.
- Two (02) witnesses with photo identification documents should also be present.
- The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of a marriage:
b. Bachelor Certificate
c. Notice of Marriage
d. Proof of Residence
e. Fee of $ 40.00. (Money order or Certified Cheque)
Marriage between two Sri Lankan Citizens
Both parties should obtain a Bachelor Certificate issued by the Grama Niladari (Village Headman) in the applicant’s city/village, which should be endorsed by the Divisional Secretary and thereafter by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 03.
Marriage between a Sri Lankan citizen and non – Sri Lankan Citizen
- Bachelor Certificates should be obtained by the Sri Lanka Citizen .(Procedure is the same as above.)
- The other party to the marriage is required to obtain a Bachelor Certificate from the Embassy of his/her country.
For further details please contact the Consular Division of this Embassy.
i. This Embassy is not responsible for any document lost in the post.
ii. Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
iii. Incomplete applications will be rejected.