Please note that after 31st December 2011, all U.S. nationals expect to visit Sri Lanka have to apply visa online through ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) system. A processing fee of $30 will be charged from the applicants.
There will be no processing fee applicable on those who obtain visa via ETA prior to 1 Jan 2012 provided they arrive within the visa validity period.
Visas can be obtained on arrival from ETA processing gates at Bandaranayke International Airport after paying the processing fee by cash or card from 1 January 2012. Two ETA processing gates will be setup for this purpose.
All visa applicants are encouraged to obtain visa online prior to arrival to avoid possible hassles at the airport.
The 30-Day Free Visa on Arrival granted for the U.S. nationals as mentioned in the below sections will only be issued up 31st December 2011.
For more details – visit www.eta.gov.lk
U.S. Nationals as well as Nationals of countries listed in Schedule “A” may visit Sri Lanka for 30 days without obtaining a visa prior to arrival in Sri Lanka, provided they are traveling as bona fide tourists with valid passports and travel tickets for their onward journey. Such persons may obtain a visa free of charge on arrival in Sri Lanka.
Tourists visiting the country for any period exceeding 30 days and nationals of countries other than the countries listed in Schedule ‘A’ are required to obtain visas and should contact the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington DC for further information and visa fees.
Visas are required for persons proceeding to Sri Lanka for other purposes such as business, lectures, educational assignments, academic research, employment, voluntary work in social service organizations, attachment to diplomatic missions and other international organizations or to join their spouses in Sri Lanka.
|Schedule ‘A’[Countries whose national can enter Sri Lanka as holiday makers without prior visa and remain 30 days without a payment]|
|01. Albania||22. Finland||43. Maldives||64. Slovenia|
|02. Armenia||23. France||44. Malaysia||65. South Korea|
|03. Australia||24. Georgia||45. Moldavia||66. Spain|
|04. Austria||25. Germany||46. Montenegro||67. Sweden|
|05. Azerbaijan||26. Greece||47. Netherlands||68. Switzerland|
|06. Bahrain||27. Hong Kong||48. New Zealand||69. Taiwan|
|07. Bangladesh||28. Hungary||49. Nepal||70. Tajikistan|
|08. Belarus||29. India||50. Norway||71. Thailand|
|09. Belgium||30. Indonesia||51. Oman||72. Turkey|
|10. Bhutan||31. Iran||52. Pakistan||73. Turkmenistan|
|11. Bosnia-Herzegovina||32. Ireland||53. Philippines||74. U.A.E.|
|12. Brunai||33. Israel||54. Poland||75. U.K.|
|13. Bulgaria||34. Italy||55. Portugal||76. Ukraine|
|14. Canada||35. Japan||56. Qatar||77. U.S.A.|
|15. China||36. Kazakhstan||57. Romania||78. Uzbekistan|
|16. Croatia||37. Kirgistan||58. Russian Federation||79. Yugoslavia|
|17. Cyprus||38. Kuwait||59. Saudi Arabia|
|18. Czech, Rep of||39. Latvia||60. Serbia|
|19. Denmark||40. Lithuania||61. Seychelles|
|20. Doha-Qatar||41. Luxembourg||62. Singapore|
|21. Estonia||42. Macedonia||63. Slovakia|
Nationals from SAARC countries
All tourists / business travelers from SAARC countries (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal and Pakistan) are not required to obtain prior visas and may obtain visas for 30 days on arrival in Sri Lanka.
Residence Visas are issued in Colombo by the Controller of Immigration and Emigration. All Sri Lankan who have subsequently obtained citizenship of other countries may apply for Residence visas under the Ex-Sri Lankan category, thereby paying only half the Residence visa fee, which would amount to Rs. 7500.00. However, they are required to establish their previous Sri Lankan citizenship. Please contact the Embassy of Sri Lanka for further information.
Multiple Entry Visas
US Citizens can obtain multiple entry visas valid for five (5) years for business and leisure purposes with a maximum duration of stay at each entry not exceeding six (6) months.
Multiple Entry Gratis Visas
This Embassy shall issue multiple entry gratis visas valid for six months to the following categories of applicants. Applications for multiple entry visas should be made on the relevant form as per specimen attached, in addition to the regular visa application form.
1. US Government Officials holding Diplomatic /Official passports.
2. World Bank staff members traveling on ” UN Laissez – Passer” passports.
3. International Monetary Fund staff members traveling on “UN Laissez – Passer” passports.
4. Members of the Diplomatic Community.
- An application for a visa must be presented at least one month before the intended date of travel
- Applications for visas should be made on forms which may be obtained online or from the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington DC, the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the UN in New York, the Consulate General of Sri Lanka in Los Angeles, the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in New Orleans, the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in Georgia, the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in Hawaii, the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in Louisiana, the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in New Mexico or the Honorary Consul for Sri Lanka in New Jersey.
- The completed application form with the applicant’s signature should be submitted together with two passport size colour photographs, the passport of the applicant, and a money order or certified check (Personal cheques will not be accepted.) for the fee involved.
- The outward or return ticket of the applicant with evidence of having sufficient funds for the stay in Sri Lanka should also be submitted.
- The passport should be valid for at least six months from the date the visa is to be issued.
- Business visa applications should accompany a letter from the sponsoring agency in Sri Lanka, a letter from the employing company in US and a copy of onward – return air ticket and travel itinerary.
- All cages of the visa application form should be completed carefully and signed by the applicant at the space reserved on page 2. Please note that incomplete visa applications will be rejected.
- No stamps should be affixed to the form.
- A letter stating the purpose of the visit with relevant additional information if not already included in the application form should be furnished.
- Except tourist visas, all other visa requests may require approval from the relevant authorities in Sri Lanka. Therefore adequate time should be provided to obtain the necessary clearance.
- Visas are issued by the Permanent Mission of Sri Lanka to the UN in New York to persons residing in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and by the Sri Lanka Consulate General in Los Angeles to persons residing in California, Washington, and Oregon. Visas are not issued by Honorary Consuls.
- US Citizens are required to pay US $ 100.00 to obtain a multiple entry visa valid for five (5) years.
- The visa fees for Non-US Citizens are provided in schedule “B”.
- The postage fees must be sent along with the passport to cover the cost of returning the documents by one of the following mails as desired by the applicant:US Postal Express – $18.00Federal Express – $20.00International mailing fee – $ 35.00
- Payments should be be paid by Cash (only if application is hand delivered). The Money Orders or Certified Cheques should be made in favour of “Embassy of Sri Lanka”. Please note that personal cheques will not be accepted.